Welcome to our pick of last week’s news from Fethiye and around Turkey.
Today’s featured image of Seki was taken by Lyn Ward
NEWS
Death toll rises to at least 41 after twin avalanches in Turkey

The death toll from two avalanches in eastern Turkey has risen to 41, officials said on Thursday.
The avalanches took place on Tuesday and Wednesday near the Van-Bahcesaray highway in Turkey’s Van province.
On Tuesday, the first avalanche hit a stretch of the mountain road, pummeling a minibus and snow-clearing vehicle, killing five people and injuring eight.
The second avalanche, which hit around midday Wednesday, killed dozens of rescuers who were responding to the first snowslide, according to Turkish state media TRT.
The victims of the second avalanche include gendarmerie personnel, village guards, firefighters and civilians. More search and rescue teams were dispatched to the area along with sniffer dogs to search for two people still buried in the snow.
Rescue teams had to pause the search from Wednesday night until early on Thursday due to snowfall and blizzards which hampered the rescue efforts.
It was the worst avalanche disaster since 151 people were killed in one avalanche in southeastern Turkey’s Şırnak in 1992.
Sources: CNN/Daily Sabah
Municipality teams work to keep roads open

Seydikemer Municipality Directorate of Science Affairs have deployed teams in the local plateau regions to ensure that the roads are kept clear during the harsh winter conditions currently being experienced throughout Turkey.
In response to a request from citizens, snow plows are working to ensure access is maintained in Çobanisa, Bekçiler, Doğanlar, Çaltılar, Bayır (Belarası) Temel, Ceylan, Boğalar, Mahallesi, Atlıdere, Karaçulha and Karahasantaşı. The teams are also carrying out road stabilization work where needed.

Fethiye Municipality also carried out snow plowing and salting works in the Nif and Yayla Koru district.
Source: Gerçek Fethiye
Investigation into Pegasus plane crash continues as more passenger stories emerge

As more witness stories emerge from the crash landing at Sabiha Gökçen airport in Istanbul, authorities are delving deeper into the investigation.
Anadolu chief prosecutors have launched an investigation into the accident, looking into whether the pilots may have caused “death of more than one person and injuring many by negligence,” state broadcaster TRT reported.
The two pilots have been summoned by Turkish prosecutors and will be taken to a police station for testimony after receiving treatment in the hospital, TRT said.
Prosecutors took statements from two air traffic control staff and two airport employees, as well as from the pilots of two other planes who aborted landings shortly before the Pegasus flight touched down.
One passenger told The Associated Press (AP) he was nervous when he noticed how rapidly the plane made its approach to the airport and touched down “not gradually, but very quickly.”
“And then when there was an announcement that said, ‘You may now use your cell phones.’ I relaxed. I thought, ‘Everything is fine,'” he said. “Then a few seconds passed, and this time the plane skidded off the runway.”
The crash-landing at Istanbul’s Sabiha Gökçen airport on Wednesday evening killed three people.
The Boeing 737 operated by Pegasus Airlines landed at Sabiha Gökçen Airport during strong winds and heavy rain and overshot the runway. It skidded about 60 meters before dropping into a ditch from a height of around 30 meters, breaking into three parts as it came to a rest.

The remaining 180 passengers and crew members on board were injured The co-pilot, a Dutch citizen, was critically injured, while the captain was also hospitalized but not as badly hurt.
Investigators are looking at many possible causes, including the plane’s speed and the weather at the airport.
Work continued on Friday to remove the plane’s wreck from its resting place. Authorities said all evidence at the scene was collected and that the plane would be split into pieces before being moved, adding that fire hazard due to fuel leak slowed the process.
Source: CNN/Daily Sabah
Turkey starts thermal screening for all international flights

Turkey is intensifying prevention efforts to halt the spread of the coronavirus that has killed hundreds of people in China.
Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca announced on Wednesday they were taking the temperatures of all arriving airline passengers in new prevention measures aimed at halting the spread of a virus outbreak that has killed hundreds of people in China.
He went on the say that thermal cameras installed at Turkish airports would begin screening all arriving passengers from Thursday. Previously, Turkey was screening travelers from China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea and Malaysia.
Koca was speaking in the capital Ankara after another meeting of a special board set up by the ministry for measures against the outbreak, although no cases have been reported in Turkey so far.
Sources: ABC News/Daily Sabah
Turkish Airlines serves 5.6M passengers in Jan

Turkey’s national flag carrier served 5.6 million passengers with a seat occupancy rate of 80.6% in the first month of 2020, the company announced on Friday.
Turkish Airlines had carried around 5.7 million passengers in the same month last year.
The number of passengers it carried via international flights rose by 4.1%, according to the airline.
Cargo/mail carried during this period increased by 8.4% and reach 121,605 tons.
Turkish Airlines, founded in 1933, flies to 319 destinations in 127 countries with its fleet of 354 aircraft, including passenger and cargo planes.
Source: aa.com.tr
SPORT
Thank you to Brian Lloyd for the Fethiyespor updates.
Fethiyespor
Fethiyespor drew their away match against Payasspor yesterday. The final score was 1-1.

Fethiyespor stay in third place on the league table.

The next league matches are:
Wednesday 19th February at home against Cizrespor. Kick off is at 13:30.
Sunday 23rd February away against Turgutluspor. Kick off is at 13:30.
For more information about Fethiyespor please visit Fethiyespor Yabancilar on Facebook
Lokman Hekim Fethiye Belediyespor Basketbol
Thank you to Pauline Yılmaz for the Lokman Hekim Fethiyespor Basketbol update.
Fethiye’s Basketball Team played a home game on Saturday 8th February.
Another exciting game with a fantastic atmosphere in the packed stadium with the final result : Lokman Hekim Fethiye Belediyespor 88 – 77 Konyaspor.

The next matches are:
Saturday 15th February away against Balıkesir Büyükşehir Belediyespor. The match starts at 16:00 Saturday.
Saturday 22nd February at home against Final Gençlik. The match starts at 17:00.
All matches are broadcast live on Youtube/TBFTV The Team can be followed on their Facebook Page
You can follow the Team on their Facebook Page – Lokman Hekim Fethiye Belediyespor Basketbol
Turkish Lira (TL) exchange rates
The British Pound bought 7.75 TL by the close of business on Friday. The week before it was selling for 7.89 TL.
The US Dollar bought 6.01 TL by the close of business on Friday. The week before it was selling for 5.98 TL.
The Euro bought 6.58 TL by the close of business on Friday. The week before it was selling for 6.63 TL.
Source: FxexchangeRate.com
Weather Forecast
Here’s your weather forecast for the week ahead.

Source: Living Earth
Follow Fethiye Times on social media for regular updates.
The post Fethiye Times News – Week Ending 09 February 2020 appeared first on Fethiye Times.