Welcome to our pick of last week’s news from Fethiye and around Turkey.
NEWS
Turkey confirms 18th coronavirus case

Turkey announced new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus on Sunday as it continued efforts to curb its spread.
Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said on Twitter that 12 more people have been diagnosed with the virus, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 18.
He said that among these, two people who had contact with the first case had tested positive for the virus.
Koca also disclosed where some of the patients had originated from.
He said seven of the confirmed cases had come from Europe and three from the U.S.
“Every detected case and every isolation is a security measure for all of us,” he noted.
After emerging in Wuhan, China last December, the virus, officially known as COVID-19, has spread to at least 141 countries and territories.
The global death toll from the virus has surpassed 6,500, with more than 169,000 cases confirmed worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.
Source: aa.com.tr
Traffickers behind toddler death get 125 years

Three organizers of the human trafficking ring which led to the death of Syrian toddler Aylan Kurdi, in a case which made headlines worldwide, were sentenced in Turkey on Friday to 125 years in prison each.
The 2015 death of 3-year-old Kurdi, and five other refugees who shared a boat on the Aegean with him, shocked the international community and came to symbolize the plight of desperate Syrian refugees.
The traffickers, fugitives from justice, had been captured by Turkish security forces this week in the southern province of Adana.
The lifeless body of Kurdi – one of 14 Syrian refugees, including eight children, who took a boat on the Aegean to reach Greek islands – washed up on a beach near the Turkish resort of Bodrum, in Turkey’s Aegean Mugla province, after their boat sank.
A number of Syrian and Turkish defendants were found responsible for the accident and got prison sentences, but the three defendants sentenced today had fled during the trial.
The Bodrum High Criminal Court in Mugla sentenced the defendants for the crime of “killing with eventual intent.”
Source: aa.com.tr
Easyjet drops flight change fees due to COVID-19

A message from easyJet
Given the unprecedented situation we’re all facing as a result of Covid-19, we wanted to provide an update on what this means for any travel plans you may have with easyJet.
We will continue to operate a flight schedule that ensures that those customers who still wish to travel can do so, where travel restrictions allow and in line with guidance from health authorities.
However, we understand there is uncertainty around travel at this time, so if you currently have a booking with us but would prefer not to fly then from 13.03.2020 you can now change your flight online and we will waive the flight change fee. This applies to all existing and new bookings until further notice. Should there be a difference in fare you’ll need to pay this – however by waiving the change fee, we want to ensure you have more flexibility to amend your travel plans.
Where we’ve been required to cancel flights, customers will be able to transfer to an alternative flight free of charge or receive a refund. And where all flights have had to be cancelled due to local authority guidance – in Italy, for example – we are operating rescue flights to ensure passengers can return home.
To change your travel plans, please visit the Manage Bookings section on easyJet.com. This is not only the simplest way to make changes but, given the call volumes we are currently experiencing, this will also be the quickest. More here…
Source: easyjet.com
Ministry releases preliminary report on plane that skidded off Istanbul airport runway

Turkey’s Transport and Infrastructure Ministry have released a preliminary report on a passenger plane that skidded off the runway at the Sabiha Gökçen International Airport on 5 February.
Three people died when the aircraft failed to stop on the runway, drifted around 50 meters, crashed into the ILS antennas, then the guard booth and finally came to a halt in an area, about 30 meters deep.
The aircraft body, the findings noted, broke into three pieces after hitting the concrete wall and wire fences surrounding the airport. Engines, landing gear, wings, and some other parts were found to be broken.
The report by Transport Safety Investigation Center, which has been submitted to Istanbul prosecutors, said the airplane was struck by six minutes before landing. According to voice recordings between captain, pilot and first officer, this increased the stress levels of the pilots who wanted to land the plane as soon as possible, avoiding any problems.
The speed of the plane was 84 knots due to the rear wind and did not slow down, prompting the pilots to brake manually six seconds after noticing this, the captain pilot said in his statements, adding that the detection of this abnormality normally should have been done by the first officer.
Following the accident, the Istanbul prosecutors launched an investigation into the two pilots of the crashed plane for possible negligence.
On Feb. 24, authorities arrested the captain following his discharge from a hospital where he had been treated. The pilot, Mahmut Arslan faces charges of “involuntary manslaughter and causing injury.”
Pegasus has had several recent instances of overshooting runways.
Another Pegasus Airlines plane skidded off the runway at the same airport on Jan. 7, causing the temporary closure of the airport. There were no injuries.
In January 2018, another Boeing 737 in the Pegasus fleet slid off a runway at Trabzon Airport in northeastern Turkey. The plane came to rest in the dirt above the Black Sea with its nose pointed toward the water. No one was injured.
Source: Hürriyet Daily News
Work continues on Skywalk entrance

Work continues on the entrance to the starting point for the Skywalk cable car system, that will take visitors to the top of the world famous Babadağ mountain in just 7 minutes.
The start point is being built at, what was, the viewing point located halfway down the Ölüdeniz road. From there it will make its way to the 1700m main paragliding launch pad.
In a statment last year, Fethiye Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FTSO) President Osman Çıralı said “Work on the Skywalk cable car project continues and we plan to open it in July 2020″.
We will bring you updates as we receive them.
Turkey marks 99th anniversary of national anthem

Turkey marked the 99th anniversary of the İstiklal Marşı (Independence March), Turkey’s national anthem on Thursday.
This idea was supported by how other countries have their own anthems and so the Turkish nation should have one too.
Mehmet Akif Ersoy’s poem was adopted as the national anthem on 12 March 1921 —two-and-a-half years before the 29 October 1923 establishment of the nation— both as a motivational musical saga for the troops fighting in the Turkish War of Independence, and as an aspirational anthem for a Republic that was yet to be established.
The lyrics of the Turkish National Anthem consist of a long poem with 41 lines of verse. Only the first 8 lines are performed in official ceremonies. Read more about İstiklal Marşı here…
Sources: Hürriyet Daily News/Fethiye Times
SPORT
Thank you to Brian Lloyd for the Fethiyespor updates
Fethiyespor
Fethiyespor have announced that due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and in line with government guidelines for sporting events, all matches up until the end of April will be played without spectators

Fethiyespor lost their home match against Büyükçekmece Tepecikspor on Saturday. The final score was 2-3.

Fethiyespor drop to eighth place on the league table.

The next league matches are:
Sunday 22nd March away against Kozan Spor F.K. Kick off is at 15:00.
Sunday 29th March at home against Karşıyaka. Kick off is at 15:00.
For more information about Fethiyespor please visit Fethiyespor Yabancilar on Facebook
You can also follow Fethiyespor on Twitter and Instagram
Lokman Hekim Fethiye Belediyespor Basketbol
Thank you to Pauline Yılmaz for the Lokman Hekim Fethiyespor Basketbol update.
Lokman Hekim Fethiye Belediyespor played an away match in Duzce on Friday 13th March. In accordance with the decision made by the Turkish Government the game took place without spectators.

The final score was 1881 Duzce Belediye 88 – 92 Lokman Hekim Fethiye Belediyespor.

Lokman Hekim Fethiye Belediye retain their place at the top of the League Table.
There are now 7 matches left to play, all of which are currently scheduled to go ahead without spectators. However, all matches are broadcast live on Youtube/TBFTV.
There are 2 games to be played this week : Tuesday 17th March against Mekezefendi Belediyesi. The match will be played at home at Beskaza Sports Stadium and starts at 19:00.
Friday 20th March an away match in Izmir against Bornova Belediyespor. The match starts at 18:00.
You can follow the Team on their Facebook Page – Lokman Hekim Fethiye Belediyespor Basketbol. Any future decisions regarding the remaining fixtures and/or spectator rules will also be notified on this Page.
Turkish Lira (TL) exchange rates
The British Pound bought 7.76 TL by the close of business on Friday. The week before it was selling for 7.94 TL.
The US Dollar bought 6.33 TL by the close of business on Friday. The week before it was selling for 6.09 TL.
The Euro bought 7.05 TL by the close of business on Friday. The week before it was selling for 6.87 TL.
Source: FxexchangeRate.com
Weather Forecast
Here’s your weather forecast for the week ahead.

Source: Living Earth
Today’s featured image is looking across the lagoon at Ölüdeniz towards Babadağ and was taken by Lyn Ward on 15 March 2020.
Follow Fethiye Times on social media for regular updates.
Join us at Fethiye Times Travel Club
The post Fethiye Times News – Week Ending 15 March 2020 appeared first on Fethiye Times.