Health Minister Fahrettin Koca announced the latest COVID-19 figures for Turkey on Thursday evening:
- The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases stands at 42,282 as 4,056 more people tested positive for the virus.
- The number of fatalities rose to 908 after 96 people died in the past 24 hours
- The daily coronavirus tests performed was 28,578, just below the target of 30,000 per day. The number of overall tests carried out so far reached 276,338
- So far, 2,142 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospitals
- 1,552 patients are currently receiving treatment in intensive care
Turkey is now the world’s ninth worst-hit country by the number of active cases which have risen for the 10th consecutive day.
READ: COVID-19 in Turkey: 296 more recovers, death toll now at 908
Coronavirus historical ‘turning point’
In a video conference with over 50 top European International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) officials, Kerem Kınık, head of the Turkish Red Crescent said, “The coronavirus pandemic will be regarded as a turning point in mankind’s history, the crisis also proves that all human beings are dependent on each other, and global solidarity is needed to deal with the pandemic”.
He informed the group about the Turkish Red Crescent’s activities and said other countries suffering from the disease must similarly take necessary steps.
The virus has spread to 184 countries, infecting more than 1.5 million people since it first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year.
There have been more than 90,000 deaths and more than 350,000 recoveries worldwide.
Fethiye Mayor talks on FRT TV

Fethiye Mayor Alim Karaca appeared on FRT TV on Tuesday evening.
He was one of the guests on the regular slot, Positive Thinking, hosted by Erdoğan Cankuş.
During the program, which lasted three-and-a-half hours, Karaca clarified the COVID-19 cases in Fethiye.
As of Tuesday evening, there are seven positive cases in the Fethiye State Hospital (Devlet), one of whom was sent from Ortaca.
There were 35 patients showing symptoms of COVID-19 in the Devlet hospital. So far, after Tomography imaging, 25 of these patients have been discharged.
The wife of Mehmet Saltık, the first person to die of the virus in Fethiye, has recovered and was discharged from hospital.
(Since the program aired, a second person has died of COVID-19 in Fethiye. British national Jayne Kathleen Hunt, a 73-year-old who has lived in the Çalış area of Fethiye for approximately 15 years, was admitted to the intensive care unit at the Fethiye State Hospital where she tested positive for COVID-19. Jayne suffered with an underlying, respiratory condition.)
After a meeting with the two private hospitals in Fethiye, Karaca was able to confirm there are no cases on COVID-19 in the Lokman Hekim ESNAF Hospital. One suspected case was transferred from the Letoon Hospital to the Fethiye State Hospital (Devlet).
Physicians have said that the cases in Fethiye State Hospital have come from outside the city.
Official letters have been sent to the relevant authorities to close the entrances to Fethiye. This is an important measure to prevent the increase of cases.
Other subjects included:
Karaca also commented on reports that market traders had been reported as selling rotten fruit and vegetables in the now compulsory pre-packs, saying that any trader caught doing this would be fined and have their license revoked. He advised citizens who experience this to complain to the police.
Talking about masks, Karaca said “Our target is to distribute 40 thousand masks to our people for free. We will distribute free masks in busy places. Some of the masks will come from the Metropolitan Municipality where they have started mask production”
The Mayor went on to discuss the ongoing plans for improvements in Fethiye, which are still very much on the agenda.
Fethiye Times will bring you an update on what’s next for Fethiye at a later date.
Source: https://gercekfethiye.com/karaca-35-supheli-vakanin-25-tanesi-iyilesti/26574/
Turkey delivers medical aid to UK to help fight virus

A Turkish military cargo plane carrying medical supplies for use against the coronavirus pandemic departed today (10 April) for the U.K.
The medical aid supplies also carried on a message for the people of the U.K., saying:
“After hopelessness, there is so much hope and after darkness, there is the much brighter sun.” – Rumi.
READ: Turkey delivers medical aid to UK to help fight virus
Turkey starts work to produce COVID-19 test kits

Turkish technology company NANOBIZ on April 9 announced it started working on producing country’s indigenous test kits for the diagnosis of the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19.
“With high precision molecular test kits, COVID-19 diagnosis can be made rapidly on the field,” said a statement by the company.
The company has been collaborating with Turkey’s Defense Industries Presidency (SSB) with Technology and Health ministries, conducting R&D studies together.
READ: Turkey starts work to produce COVID-19 test kits
Global statistics
There are now 1,623,175 confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally, of which 366,409 have recovered. The number of fatalities stands at 97,236.
Source: Worldometer.
Follow Fethiye Times on social media for regular updates.
Today’s featured image: “Ölüdeniz in Blue” by Lyn Ward
The post COVID-19 daily round up – Friday 10 April 2020 appeared first on Fethiye Times.