Turkey coronavirus recoveries top 78,000 amid drop in daily deaths
A total of 78,202 people have recovered from the novel coronavirus in Turkey so far, the country’s health minister said on Wednesday.
The death toll from the pandemic rose to 3,584 as Turkey’s daily fatalities dropped to 64 in the past 24 hours, Fahrettin Koca said on Twitter.
The country recorded 2,253 new cases, bringing the tally to 131,744, the minister added.
Also, over 30,303 additional tests have been conducted over the last 24 hours, and the total number of tests has so far exceeded 1.23 million.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE WEEKEND NOW THERE IS NO CURFEW?
In a televised address on Monday (May 4), President Erdoğan announced that Turkey would start easing the measures to curb the spread of COVID-19.
The first measure to be lifted was entry-exit restrictions from seven of the 31 provinces currently under restriction, namely Antalya, Aydin, Erzurum, Hatay, Malatya, Mersin, and Mugla.
The Ministry of Interior sent a circular to 81 provincial governorships last night (6 May) stating that a curfew will be imposed in 24 provinces over the weekend (9/10 May).
The provinces still under curfew are:
Adana, Ankara, Balıkesir, Bursa, Denizli, Diyarbakır, Eskişehir, Gaziantep, İstanbul, İzmir, Kahramanmaraş, Kayseri, Kocaeli, Konya, Manisa, Mardin, Ordu, Sakarya, Samsun, Şanlıurfa, Tekirdağ, Trabzon, Van and Zonguldak.
There will be NO CURFEW in the seven provinces for whom the travel restrictions have been lifted.
This means there will be NO CURFEW in Muğla this weekend (9/10 May).
NB: ALL RESTRICTIONS IN PLACE THROUGHOUT THE WEEK WILL STILL BE IN PLACE ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY (9/10 May). They revert back to normal days in these extraordinary times.
It has been suggested on social media that restaurants, bars, cafes, beaches, promenades and parks will be open. THIS IS NOT THE CASE AND THESE ESTABLISHMENTS AND AREAS REMAIN CLOSED TO EVERYONE.
OVER 65’S
In his address, the president also announced that over 65’s will be allowed out on Sunday 10 May between the hours of 11am -3pm. Outings are restricted to “walking within the vicinity of home”, face masks MUST be worn and social distancing guidelines followed.
Over 65’s are NOT allowed to go shopping, walk on the promenades, beaches or parks (see above).
CHRONIC ILLNESSES AND UNDERLYING HEALTH CONDITIONS
According to this report in HABER TURK, those with chronic illnesses or underlying health conditions may also go out on Sunday, May 10, between 11: 00-15: 00, with limited walking distance, respecting the social distance rule and wearing a mask.
MASKS
Masks are available from the Zabita office located at
Kesikkapı Mahallesi. Çarşı Caddesi. No: 304
48300 Fethiye
The office is to the right as you go in the main entrance and is open 24/7.
https://goo.gl/maps/RkBphPT4gnSzCPKG6
Please ask a family member, friend or neighbour to pick up a mask for you. You will need to provide your name, address and Turkish ID number when collecting your mask so make sure you give this information to your representative.
To avoid congestion at the Zabita office, if possible, arrange for a representative to collect masks for a group of people in an area.
For over 65’s who DO NOT have a representative who can collect a mask for them, please fill out the form at this link ASAP.
https://forms.gle/UKxjKshbQwDriDGNA
David Ismail Jaime from Corona Caring Fethiye is working with the Zabita to do his best to try and make sure everyone has a mask.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/672522866909614/
Please be mindful if you plan to be out and about on Sunday, that these vulnerable groups have not been out for many weeks for a reason. The health and safety of these groups during their outing is of the utmost important so please maintain social distancing and wear a mask whilst out and about. Or consider staying in between the hours of 11am and 3pm, after all, we can go out at any time.
Thank you.
This information is accurate as of 13:20 on 7 May 2020.
Turkish Airlines eyes resuming flights as of June

Turkish Airlines has drafted a plan to restart flights in June, July, and August, sources told Anadolu Agency on May 6.
Turkey’s national flag carrier will resume domestic flights in June and reintroduce international flights gradually, said the sources, who spoke anonymously due to restrictions on speaking to the media.
According to the three-month flight plan, starting in June Turkish Airlines will fly to 22 destinations in 19 countries, including Canada, Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, Japan, China, South Korea, Singapore, Denmark, Sweden,
Germany, Norway, Austria, the Netherlands, Belgium, Belarus, Israel, Kuwait, Georgia, and Lebanon, with a weekly frequency of 75 flights.
Global statistics
There are now 3,791,646 confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally, of which 1,317,109 have recovered. The number of fatalities stands at 266,076.
Source: Worldometer.
Follow Fethiye Times on social media for regular updates.
Todays featured image: “Looking across the lagoon to a cloud covered Babadağ” by Lyn Ward
The post COVID-19 daily round up – Thursday 07 May 2020 appeared first on Fethiye Times.