Collated from various news sources.
A major earthquake of magnitude 7.7 struck central Turkey and north-west Syria early on Monday morning (6 February 2023), killing more than 2,200 people and injuring thousands as more than 2,800 buildings collapsed across the region, triggering searches for survivors in the rubble.






The quake hit at 4.17am local time (0117 GMT) and was felt in Syria, Lebanon, Cyprus, Greece and Israel.
The quake was centred about 32km (20 miles) from Gaziantep, a major city and provincial capital in the country’s south-east, and about 26km (16 miles) from the town of Nurdağı.
It was 17.7km (11 miles) deep, according to the US Geological Survey.
It was followed by a magnitude 6.4 quake that struck southeastern Gaziantep province.
A third earthquake with a 6.5 magnitude also hit Gaziantep.
92 aftershocks of magnitude 4/5 have hit the area so far.
Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said that six earthquakes with magnitudes above 6 had hit the country so far early on Monday, with the cities of Gaziantep, Kahramanmaraş, Hatay, Osmaniye, Adıyaman, Malatya, Şanlıurfa, Adana, Diyarbakır and Kilis all affected by the quake and suffering damage.
A second earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale struck southern Turkey on Monday afternoon.
The major quake, which struck at 1.24 p.m. (1024GMT), was centered in the Elbistan district of Kahramanmaras, according to the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD).
The tremor occurred at a depth of seven kilometers (4.3 miles).
Orhan Tatar, general director of earthquake and risk reduction at AFAD, said there is serious earthquake activity in the region and aftershocks up to 6.5 – 6.7 in magnitude will continue.
Hatay Airport, whose runway was damaged because of the earthquake, was closed for all flights.
World leaders have pledged to send aid after Turkey issued an international appeal for help.
Rescue efforts hampered by the weather
The weather isn’t helping. Heavy rain and snow is hindering the rescue efforts, those people who have lost their homes are surviving in freezing conditions, and for those still trapped, the clock is ticking!



How can we help?
AFAD have launched an official aid campaign to enable citizens to support the rescue efforts.
Citizens who want to support the campaign will be able to send an SMS to 1866 by typing “EARTHQUAKE” (SMS fee as of January 01, 2023: 20 TL)
Alternatively, a donation can be made via the account numbers at the link below.
https://www.afad.gov.tr/depremkampanyasi2
Fethiye Belediyesi Aid Campaign
Fethiye Belediyesi has started an aid campaign to help citizens who have been affected.
Blankets – Winter Clothing – Canned and Dry food are a priority.
Donations can be taken to the following drop off points:
1) Özer Olgun Cultural Center – FKM
2) “Hearts Together Store” – next to the Günlükbaşı Police Station
3) Oludeniz Municipality Building
4) Göcek Municipality Building
5) Karaçulha Town Hall
#earthquake#southernturkey#aidcollectioncentres#humanitarianaid
AFAD contact information in earthquake zones:
This is a developing story and will be updated.
The post Major earthquake in Turkey and Syria : what we know so far appeared first on Fethiye Times.